Yesterday was yet another visit to the doctor. I do that a lot these days. He still says that the baby could come tomorrow...or a month from now.Yay. However, because the contractions have been getting even worse, he prescribed a sleep-aid for me. Those of you who have been pregnant before....remember how a few times before the baby comes, you start getting really painful, regular contractions that lead you to think, "This is it!"? And then after about 30 min to an hour they stop and you start waiting for it to happen again.This is exactly what is happening to me...3-4 times every day and almost all night long. And I'm not due for a month.
It is mentally wearing because I never know if I'm actually going into labor, but it is also very physically wearing. They make me constantly exhausted and extremely sore. The night ones are the worst though. I've been getting no sleep at all.
So, yesterday the doctor gave me a prescription for Ambien. I've only taken it for one night, but so far I love it. I have to say, that the directions for use really mean what they say! You're supposed to take it half an hour before you go to bed and make sure you have at least 7 hours to sleep. I took one last night at 8:30, was out by 9, and then at 4 (exactly 7 hours later) I woke up and resumed my normal sleep pattern of waking up every 15 minutes. The doctor said that if I actually go into labor, the medication won't be strong enough to let me sleep through it for long, but it should allow me to sleep through the shorter bursts of contractions. Hooray!
I feel so much better today! I'm still tired, but it feels a little closer to normal pregnant tired and I'm hoping that more nights of good sleep will continue to help. Of course, this won't make the contractions during the day any better, but I think I'll be able to handle them better (physically and mentally) now that I'm getting some sleep.
4 comments:
Oh, I'm glad you got some sleep. That is miserable! I hope for your sake that baby comes soon and is healthy!
Whew, I'm glad you're getting sleep. I can't even imagine being that tired when dealing with a toddler AND being pregnant! You're a trooper.
oh ambien. I do love it. I took it toward the end of my pregnancy with natalie for the exact same reason and then I started to get dependent on it to sleep at all... aka, addicted!!! So I slowly stopped taking it. Be careful not to take it every single night. I never thought it would have that kind of power over my sleep habits!
Post a Comment