Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Frustration

Last night was an incredibly long night and left me feeling so frustrated! On a positive note, my little brother was set apart as a missionary last night. He will be leaving today to head to the Brazil MTC. I was very grateful that I got to be there to see him be set apart. However, there is a part of me that really wanted to be at the hospital, having a baby, so Chris could see him before he leaves today.

At about 7 (during the middle of the stake president talking to Chris about being a missionary), I started having pretty regular, painful contractions. So, after he was all set apart, Jacob and I left for the hospital. Last Thursday, when I saw my doctor, I was dilated to a 4, which makes me nervous about how long labor is actually going to last. Because I have Group B Strep, they want me at the hospital for at least 4 hours before he's born, so I can get the antibiotic into my system. So, I don't want to be in labor for too long before getting myself to the hospital.

I got all checked in at the hospital, but their triage rooms were full, apparently it was a really busy night. The nurse came out to talk to me for a few minutes and then decided to just put me in a labor and delivery room. False hope from the very beginning.

While I was laying there, waiting for the doctor to make a decision, the contractions got more regular and more and more painful. They were coming about 30 seconds to a minute apart and getting painful enough that I was having to focus on dealing with the pain, rather than just ignoring it. Sounds like labor, right? Yep, that's what the 3 nurses I saw all said too. "She won't send you home, this is labor.", "I don't know why we haven't admitted you yet, you are definitely in labor." etc. I can't tell you how many times I heard, "If only you were 39 weeks, we would definitely keep you." and "If you were 39 weeks, the doctor could just break your water now." Unfortunately, in the 4 hours that I laid there, I dilated 1/2 cm more and thinned out about 20% more. At midnight, the doctor finally decided to send me home. At which point, the comments from the nurses became, "We'll probably see you back later tonight." and "As soon as those contractions get worse, come on back."

So, still having painful contractions, we came back home. I laid down and went to sleep pretty quickly. For the first part of the night, I woke up every few minutes to a contraction that just couldn't be slept through. But as the night went on, they got less and less frequent. Now, I'm still having regular contractions, but they're not anywhere near as painful as they were.

Now, I am home by myself with the kids for the day. Jacob is at work, half and hour away and my parents are going to be leaving to take Chris to the airport. I do not like this at all.

1 comment:

Jessica Biscuit said...

I'm sorry. I have no experience but I can still tell that sucks. :(