Saturday, December 14, 2013

St. Lucia Day

Earlier this year, I pulled my American Girl doll, Kirsten, out of the garage and let Emily play with her. We also read one of Kirsten's books, in which they celebrate St. Lucia Day. Ever since then (about 6 months ago), Emily has been planning our St. Lucia Day celebration.

We didn't have time on the actual day it's supposed to be celebrated, so we saved it for today. I considered attempting to make real St. Lucia buns, but they involved a lot of time and several fairly pricey ingredients. So, we made our own tradition with cranberry, orange scones. I figured that those are still common flavors in Sweden, so we were at least on the right track.

Emily found the closest thing to a white dress and red sash that she had to wear while she served breakfast to the rest of the family. (I talked her out of the wreath on her head.)




The boys were a little confused, but it was very fun and she loved it. I think it might have to be a new tradition!

1 comment:

Jessica Biscuit said...

I'm playing catch up on your blog. =P

I had Kirsten too! :) I always had an obsession with pioneers so she was my American Girl of choice. Her books, combined with the fact that my dad served in Sweden made me want to celebrate St. Lucia's day. In the end an early morning was a deal breaker, haha.

I should have adapted it like you guys did. So fun! And those scones sound delicious!