Sunday, September 19, 2010

Warning: Brain Dump

I need to blog, but I don't really have anything to say. So, I'm going to take a page from my friend Rebecca's book. I will just start writing and hope that something of value comes out of my brain.

Good news for this week, I finally got my fingerprint clearance card! I have now mailed my application to the state for a substitute certificate (along with another large check for who knows what reason. Why do they charge so much to print me out a piece of paper?) and when that comes I can finally apply to be a substitute teacher and hopefully start working soon. I keep hearing of all these teachers who will be taking maternity leave, so I'd like to start working soon enough to get one of those jobs! What a huge, long process just to get a job. You know, you graduate with a degree and a teaching certificate and think you're good to go...ha ha ha.

Also this week, I got to play the piano with our ward choir. They sang The Spirit of God and I absolutely loved the arrangement! Which is actually saying a lot, there are a lot of choir arrangements of the hymns that I don't love. The piano piece was written for 4 hands (though only 3 were necessary, still required a second person) and the person who was supposed to be playing the higher part was put on bed rest. So I got the music two weeks ago and was able to fill in for her. It's been a long time since I last played with a choir and I had forgotten how much I enjoyed doing it. I also found the piano duet to be a lot fun! I should do things like this more often.

On that line, here's a question I've always wondered about. I do enjoy performing on both the flute and the piano, but I never volunteer to do so because I feel like I'm trying to show off. Which is silly because I'm not actually that good. So, what constitutes sharing and enjoying your talent and what constitutes showing off?

(I should add that the other reason I don't often volunteer to play is that I enjoy accompanying others or playing in a group much more than playing a solo. I enjoy the feeling of being part of a whole.)

The other thing I have done this week is reading an appalling number of books. I have lost count of how many books I have read this month. There was one weekend that I finished 4 books in the same weekend. (Finished, not started). It's a little sad, but I don't really have a lot of things to do at the moment so I figure I should take advantage of the time while I've got it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I applied for my fingerprint clearance card a little while back and had to send in a large check too... :( No fun! Good luck with substitute teaching! I do hear that a lot of ladies leave for maternity. My mom works at Augusta Ranch and she knows a few that are having a baby in a few months!

Rebecca said...

Someone with your talents and abilities should DEFINITELY be sharing them! (I say ashamedly, because I think very few people in my ward know I even play the piano, let alone the organ or cello)

It never hurts to find out who the music chairman is and let them know you're willing and able to play/accompany. They may either say, "thanks" and call you later when they have a specific need, or say, "Perfect, what and when do you want to play?"

It doesn't reach the point of showing off until you're playing a special musical number solo every single week. I think you're safe ;)

And good luck with work!!!