Monday, June 21, 2010

Excuses, Excuses

I am becoming something of an expert in the area of making excuses. I've been avoiding writing an update on our exercising, but here goes nothing.

Neither of us has succeed in exercising regularly yet. Our original plan was to exercise together every night after Emily went to bed. After a few days we decided that wasn't going to work. Other things just came up far too often.

Plan B was for Jacob to exercise before work, at 4:30 am and for me to exercise in the mornings after I got the kids fed and dressed.

We've each succeeded a few times, but just can't make it a habit.

I have found every excuse under the sun to avoid it. I don't feel well, I'm too tired, I have too many other things to do today, and the lamest one, I've done good this week, I deserve a break. I don't think Jacob consciously makes excuses, I think he just rolls over and hits the snooze button.

What it really comes down to is that neither of us enjoys exercising. At all. Even as it starts to get easier, so I don't feel like I'm going to die, I still don't like doing it!

We have both always been active people and have thus not 'needed' to exercise before. We are also both asthmatic and I know I've used that as an excuse to avoid strenuous exercise for most of my life. My asthma is exercise induced, so I've always just told myself that it's better for me to not aggravate it.

So, to those of you out there who manage to exercise, what's your secret? How do you make yourself do it every day?

As I side note, I'm starting to think I should see a doctor. The I don't feel well excuse for not exercising is a valid one, because I don't. Again, I've always had an excuse for why I'm not feeling well, but I'm starting to run out of them. I feel like I have mono and no matter how much sleep I do or don't get, it just isn't going away. It's not mono, I've already had that, but that's what it feels like. And before anyone else asks, no I am not pregnant.

6 comments:

Fiona said...

Well, I am not asthmatic so I can't relate there. But for me, it is much easier to go if I have friends that are going too. A bunch of us go walking/running MWF at 6am. It helps to know that they will be out there with me and get my butt out of bed. I also like going to the gym because they have the day care and I get a break from the kids. I try to make friends in my zumba classes so I will have people to talk to there, too. Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon!

Christine and Nick said...

Try to LEAVE your house to exercise. That became my alone time that I cherished. :) Or, have friends to go with but still make it away from home if you can. It will make it both fun and something to get you away from the house without the kids!

Emily said...

ecercising is so hard. if it makes you feel any better I've now gotten into the habit of only doing the 30 day shred once a week and I feel like "whatever. that's good enough" :) I've just got too many things going on. oh well, it's summer!

Natalie said...

The only way I manage to fit it in is to do it before anyone in my house wakes up. At 6 a.m. It took a while to get use to but now I love it!
Also, I may suggest getting your thyroid tested if you're feeling tired/sluggish. Thyroid problems are quite common. :)

Heather said...

The time I do the best at exercising is when I treat it as something I HAVE to do, not something I have the option of doing. I make an appointment for when I'm going to work out and I treat it like any other appointment that you have to go to. That way it's just like anything else in life that we don't want to do but have to...you don't want to go to work-tough you have you, you don't want to study-tough you have to, you don't want to get up w/ the crying baby-tough you have to, you don't want to exercise-tough you have to. Even when I have "excuses" and I make myself go (because I have to) I always feel better afterward! The exceptions would be if you genuinely are sick...like throwing up, fever, etc.
Also remember that being too tired to workout is a viscous cycle..you're too tired to work out so you don't work out which in turn makes you more tired. Once you get into a regular habit of working out you'll have more energy and should look forward to it a little more.
One last thing is to start with a small goal of working out twice this week, then 3 times next week and work up to whatever your goal is. Small changes are typically easier than all or nothing!

Unknown said...

Not saying that you are depressed, but depression also can make you very tired. I was exhausted all the time for years!