Wednesday, April 21, 2010

New Potty Training Technique: Day 1

Emily has been interested in potty training for a long time. However, when the interest first appeared, I was in school and very pregnant. So, a little while after Edward was born, we started potty training. I decided to take a rather laid back approach to the whole thing and it worked for a while. After about a week though, she wasn't quite so into it. I think she would just get playing and forget about the whole thing.

So, I decided to try a new approach, counting on her girly-ness to help me. I just put her in underwear and let her have a few accidents. It worked out pretty much like I thought it would. She was completely grossed out by her first accident. During the first day, we had 3 accidents, but hey, it could have been worse.

At 7:30 that night, I changed Emily into a diaper, put her to bed and Jacob and I turned a movie on. An hour and a half later I hear her crying in her room. When I go back to see what the problem is, she has taken her shorts off and is pointing at her diaper. She is freaking out because she went to the bathroom...in her diaper.

I take her diaper off and let her sit on the toilet, thinking this will be enough to solve the problem. No, she needs her legs wiped off, needs new shorts (those ones are dirty now, duh Mom!) and she needs to clean the floor where she thinks she peed on the carpet.

Maybe it worked a little to well...

2 comments:

Christine and Nick said...

thats awesome! I haven't started callie yet. She is starting to show interest but not quite. I'm kind of thinking we'll wait till after the baby comes...

Elissa said...

Good luck with the potty training! Hannah took so long to potty train that I've been putting it off with Emily. I think it's finally time, though.