Monday, April 5, 2010

General Conference


On Saturday, Jacob and I got to attend the morning session of General Conference. Apparently we know people. Our good friends, the Fishers, had some extra tickets and invited us to come with them. If you look closely at this blurry picture, you will find camera poles right up at the front....we were literally right behind the one on the right hand side of this picture. The only people in front of us where the families of the General Authorities.

It was an amazing experience. The spirit was definitely stronger, but I must admit that my favorite part was just watching everything that was going on! When we got there, Elder Oaks was walking around in front of us, talking to people. He didn't come talk to us, but it was fun to see him anyway. We also saw members of the Primary and Young Women's presidencies helping their families get settled. Also, I think President Eyring may have an identical twin.

It was really fun to be able to see people other than just the speaker throughout the meeting. To see all the inner workings, like the guy moving Elder Packer's chair back and forth. It was fun to see Elder Holland struggling to stay awake and President Monson singing with gusto. One of my favorite moments was at the end of the meeting. The First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve meet up with their wives and then walk out. President Monson walked over to his wife, where nice men in suits were helping her into a wheel chair. When they were done, one of them took the papers he was holding and President Monson pushed his wife's wheelchair out of the room. I don't know why I thought that was so neat, I just did. I guess it's the realization that he doesn't have to do that, but wants to help her. While this was happening, Elder Scott, whose wife has passed away, pushed his way to the top and wandered around talking the members of the Seventy and the choir.



It was an amazing conference all around. It's always incredible to listen to the Lord's Prophets and Apostles. They always manage to say exactly what I need to hear, like their talks were written for me. I particularly enjoyed Elder Ballard's talk about mothers and daughters. These men truly do speak with and for God and I know that the words they speak are truth. Conference is a great experience because we are reminded of the things we are slacking on, while being uplifted with messages of hope!

3 comments:

Fiona said...

So funny...I started asking Joanie about how she got such good seats at conference...she had no clue what I was talking about! You must have other friends named "Fisher?"

Jacob & Clarissa said...

Haha...I didn't even think about that! Yes, we do have other friends named Fisher!

Jessica Biscuit said...

awwww, so cute! I love watching the way the Prophets and apostles treat their wives. Its like better than any romance novel or chick flick out there! =P

Anyhow, I agreed that it was a good conference and I'm glad you wrote about what you saw after. Everyone sees the same thing when they're speaking, but its only a select few that see everything else. Luckily, we both got to be in those select few this year!!!