Thank you Shannah for my title inspiration. And yes, we just might be doing weekends wrong.
Saturday started with Jacob and I being woken up by Eddie who had slept on our floor..and peed on it during the night. So we woke up to a bath, laundry and scrubbing the carpet.
When all that was done I headed into the kitchen to make breakfast. Emily requested cinnamon rolls, eggs and sausages and since I happened to have cinnamon rolls in the freezer (I always freeze half the batch when I make cinnamon rolls, since we don't need to eat 4 dozen all at one time. Though we will if they're out and available.) I told her I could do that. I decided to be smart and just pop the cinnamon rolls in the oven to warm up (rather than microwaving them) while I made the rest of the food. I checked on the cinnamon rolls and they were almost done. So I turned the oven off (or so I thought) and figured I would take them out as soon as I finished with the eggs. Yeah, a minute later when I went to get them they were burned to a crisp. I assumed that it had just been one minute too many, turned the oven back on and got out more cinnamon rolls. Approximately 30 seconds later they were also burned to a crisp and the oven was showing an error code.
Jacob did some research and found out that the error code meant that the oven had reached past 575 degrees (which explains a lot). He then came to look at the oven (which I had shut off) and noticed that the coils were still bright red. We had to pull it away from the wall and unplug it to get it to stop heating.
A call was placed to the landlord, my last 6 cinnamon rolls were heated in the microwave and we finally sat down to breakfast.
Emily had Primary Program Practice that morning, so after getting everyone ready for the day, Jacob took her over to the church. At this point the plan was to do some chores around the house until noon when Jacob had to be at work and I had to pick Emily up. The kids were then going to Grandma's house while I went to a baby shower.
Well, while Jacob was taking Emily, I was trying to get Edward to clean his room. William came in the room, tripped over some clothes and hit his head on Edward's bed. As I picked him up, I told Edward that it wouldn't have happened if he had cleaned his room. (Bad parenting moment) Then I looked at William.....he split his eyelid open right beneath the eyebrow and it was gaping....a lot. At which point I had a screaming, bleeding baby and a crying boy because it's his fault his brother is hurt. After much reassuring that it was not actually his fault and Mom should not have said that and much cuddling and wiping of blood, it was determined that stitches would be necessary.
The urgent care didn't open until noon, so we just hung out at home, watching Curious George (with a perfectly happy baby), until it was time to go get Emily. We took the big kids straight to Grandma's and headed to urgent care.
It took 4 stitches to get him all patched up, which he was not happy about. Actually, I think he was mostly unhappy about the fact that they wrapped him up so he couldn't move. They gave him a little basketball toy, a sucker and a minion sticker when he was done and he was almost immediately all smiles again. (For the record, he loves minions. I don't think he's seen 'Despicable Me' more than once, but he laughs every time he sees a minion.)
His wound is not slowing him down at all. He is still happy and smiley and all over the place. He has climbed up on the kitchen table at least 5 times today.
And as Dad and Uncle Jarrod (via Grandma) have told me, chicks dig scars.
The rest of the day was better. Dad went to work late, Mom read her book while the small ones napped and watched tv (and a guy came over to tell us that our oven is in fact broken (thanks for that) and he'll come back on Monday to fix it (which he didn't do)). Grandma fed us dinner, which was awesome because at this point I was definitely not cooking anything!
1 comment:
I'm glad you still had cinnamon rolls left after that. It would have been more sad if ALL the cinnamon rolls got burned. :(
My oven did that when we were first married, kept heating up and then didn't turn off when I turned it off. I'm glad it fixed itself because I don't even think I'm smart enough to think about unplugging it. I just waited and prayed that the house wouldn't burn down. I think it finally gave up on being on after about an hour.
William looks super cute with that soon to be scar, so I suppose Dad and Uncle Jarrod are right. Unless I'm not a chick...then I have some serious soul searching to do...
Post a Comment