Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Not a Rockstar

Recently, I have read quite a few blog posts from friends about the hard things in life. Also about the fact that too often, we keep the bad parts of life to ourselves and only share the good things with others. I used to blog about bad days as well as good, but somewhere along the line, that stopped. Not because I want to make anyone think my life is perfect, but because when times are hard, I don't have time to blog. So, due to the inspiration of others (and the fact that I want an excuse to hide in my room for a minute) I'm going to tell you about my day.

Alright, my day hasn't actually been bad. It was pretty normal actually, until about 3 hours ago. At that point, my perfect, happy-go-lucky baby had complete meltdown. I think this is maybe the third time in his life this has happened and I don't think he's ever cried this long. My best guess is that he's teething, but I really don't know.

Of course, Jacob is in Indiana right now for job training, so I am on my own. And of course, Emily and Edward chose that moment to become as needy as possible. They were starving, thirsty, wanted to play the computer, forgot how to work the iPad, etc. And of course, they could do none of this for themselves and couldn't possibly help each other out with anything. Emily went and got fruit snacks and brought them to me to open for her. Edward can't have fruit snacks because they have coconut oil in them and Emily refused to help him get anything else. Etc.....(you get the idea).

After William stopped screaming (a good solid two hours), I made spaghetti and was pretty proud of myself that I was feeding the kids something other than peanut butter (since that thought did cross my mind more than once). We sat down to eat and Emily looked at me and said, "This is all we're having?" I will take that as a compliment that she is used to having a better dinner. My tired mind thought hard...."I guess I could make some garlic bread." Bread made, given to children. "Mom, what about a vegetable?" (Again, I'll take that as a compliment.) Racking my brain....I don't think there is a single vegetable in this house...oh wait, frozen peas....I can do that. By now, the spaghetti is cold, but the meal passes Emily's standards. However, she apparently just wanted her plate to look nice because she didn't actually eat any of it and Edward told me that peas have nuts in them, so he can't eat them. Now, they are back to watching Disney Channel, like they have been for most of the afternoon, and William is awake and fussing. I guess that's my cue.

No comments: