Friday, March 16, 2012

Failure Day

Yesterday, I felt like Charlie Brown. If anyone has heard the song "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown", Lucy tells Linus that Charlie Brown has a failure face and says, "Notice how it has failure written all over it". Yes, this song got stuck in my head yesterday because that is exactly how I felt.

The morning was actually pretty good. I went to a doctor's appointment that took 10 minutes and found out nothing new and exciting, except that I don't have gestational diabetes. Yay! I failed my 1 hour test, so I had to go back and do the three hour one. It was totally miserable. Having to drink that nasty stuff again, on a completely empty stomach and then being poked 4 times to get blood and having to sit around the lab for three hours, is not my idea of a good morning.

After I got home from that, we went to the farm with my family. On the way there, Emily told me that she was going to be brave this time and feed the animals. Much to my surprise, she actually did it! She even held a chicken. I was so surprised when the guy handed it to her and actually let her hold it by herself. Fortunately, she did not drop it and she thought she was pretty cool.



Of course, Eddie's favorite thing was the tractors. He was not so brave about the animals and only got near the bunny.


When we got home from the farm, we had lunch and naps. My nap lasted about half an hour and then I had a dream that I had to give Emily up for adoption. It totally stressed me out and completely ruined my ability to sleep. So, I got up and spent some time grading papers. That lasted a few minutes, but since I didn't actually want to do that, I decided to make cookies instead. This is where my day started failing. I don't know what I did, but the cookies came out flat, kind of greasy, burned on the edges and completely raw in the middle. I think they were the worst chocolate chip cookies I have ever made. Fortunately, my family likes cookies in any form, so they ate some of them anyway. The bad news is, that I left them sitting out on the counter all night, so now they are definitely gross.

Next came dinner. I had planned to make roasted chicken and potatoes. I got the chicken put in the oven without incident (or so I thought), but then I started on the potatoes and for some unknown reason, peeled twice as many as I needed. So I roasted half of them and made the other half into mashed potatoes, which will hopefully get eaten. They were supposed to be loaded mashed potatoes, since I know Jacob will eat those, but I had no bacon and the cheese grater was dirty, so they're just plain mashed potatoes.

When I took the chicken out and started trying to slice it is when I ran into more failures. As I was trying to carve the chicken, I was starting to think I had purchased a deformed chicken that had no breasts and had random bones where there shouldn't have been any. It took me far longer than it should have to realize that I had cooked the chicken upside down. So the skin on the bottom of the chicken was nice and crispy! I flipped it over, peeled all the non-crispy skin off the top and started cutting it. Only to discover that it was not cooked all the way through.

By this point I was really frustrated, so I abandoned the chicken for a minute to go finish my gravy. I added about half a tablespoon of flour and within seconds it was like glue. Then it separated into clear fat and pasty gross looking chunks.

We had McDonald's for dinner and the chicken got put it the fridge. I will make it into soup or something today so that the meat can cook some more.

And of course, while Jacob was gone getting McDonald's, Emily went to the bathroom and decided that she wanted to pee standing up. Needless to say, that also failed. Not my failure, but I still got to clean up after it.

We decided to spend the rest of the night watching a movie.

No comments: