Subbing has been a very interesting experience so far. I've actually discovered that it's a great way to learn who the good teachers are and what they are doing. I've found that you can tell within a few minutes of being in a class whether the teacher is good at managing their room or not. Some teacher's have everything clearly organized, so I can figure out my day within minutes and usually these are the classes where the students are well-behaved, participate in class and are generally fun to teach. Other teachers, I have to decipher and search and make some things up as I go. These classes are the ones that I have to struggle with all day, just to get some semblance of quiet.
I've discovered that students who know that there are consequences to go with every action are much better behaved. If they can count on a reward for good behavior, every time, it works wonders.
I've also learned some little things that I like and dislike. For example, I really, really hate individual pencil sharpeners. When I have my own classroom, my students will not be allowed to have pencil sharpeners in their desks. I'm actually considering not allowing them to sharpen their own pencils at all.
Anyways, on to some pictures of the kids!
Yes, Aunt Becca left a box of tissues on the floor. Silly her. Edward was pretty happy about it though!
As of yesterday, Edward has officially started walking. He'll only do about 4 or 5 steps at a time, but it doesn't have to be between to people. He'll take off from his high chair or the couch or wall or whatever. He's pretty proud of his new skill!
Our excitement for today is that Jacob and I spoke in sacrament meeting about gratitude. It was actually a really good experience. We both managed to get through out talks without passing out, we filled the proper amount of time and they were pretty good talks if I do say so myself. Though I believe I did ramble for a bit. Our stake conference last week was broadcast from Salt Lake and Bishop Burton gave a talk about gratitude, so that made writing our talks a lot easier. In his talk, he said that gratitude in more than a social courtesy, it's a binding commandment. That really stuck with me and is what I based my talk on. We truly have been commanded to show gratitude to the Lord for all things. It was nice to spend some time pondering upon gratitude before the hustle and bustle of the holiday season really set in.
This week, the holiday's officially start as we get ready to head to Henderson for Thanksgiving! I get to work tomorrow (in one of those not so organized rooms) and then we are off on Tuesday!
2 comments:
Emily is SO cute! Love the sunglasses picture. And pencil sharpeners, eh? I didn't know those still existed. Mechanical pencils were a hit when I was in school, I thought for sure regular pencils would be obsolete by now :)
Good grief I miss you guys. I was planning to write to you today, just to ask if Edward was walking yet. Apparently I was thinking about him walking around the time he was taking his first steps. Have a safe trip to Henderson!
Post a Comment