This week marked my first week as a substitute teacher and oh what a week it has been! Signing up to be a sub took forever! I finally got signed up a few weeks ago, right in time for fall break. When I actually went to fill out paperwork, the lady at the district office felt the need to warn me that I wouldn't be getting very much work because there are a lot of subs.(This, after she tried to warn me off from even signing up several times.)
No work, ha! That's funny.
At this time last week, I had one half day of work scheduled for Tuesday of this week. Here's how things actually went...
To start my week, I subbed Monday afternoon for one of the reading specialists. It was an interesting first day! She didn't leave me anything but her keys. Fortunately, I was able to figure out that I was supposed to go help out in two different classrooms and which ones they were. I am really not sure why I got paid for wandering around and helping kids during their reading class, but it was fun!
I then subbed Tuesday morning for one of the resource teachers. That right there is the way to go. My largest group was 5 students and I worked with 3 different groups for an hour each. It was a lot of fun!
While I was there, the teacher next door asked if I would be available to sub for her the next day. She wasn't even sure if she needed me or not, but said she would call me later to let me know for sure. So, I found out at 10 pm that I was, for sure, subbing in the 4th grade on Wednesday! For future reference, the week before a major holiday is probably not the best time to start subbing. It wasn't that bad, they were just really chatty and hyper! I should also note, that I had to turn done a job from the sub hotline, that called me at 5 am to see if I wanted to sub for another teacher that day and then the sub hotline called me again while I was at school, so I'm assuming that I missed a job for Thursday.
On Friday, I woke up at 5 am again, but this time it was to the sound of my phone just finishing ringing and going to voicemail. It was the sub hotline, again. I was a little sad that I had missed a chance to work just because I didn't wake up on time, but clearly it was meant to be. I then got another call from the sub hotline (this is 4 in one week, in case you weren't counting) at 8! All it said was that the job was for a high school English teacher, nothing more. So, I called Desert Ridge since they are the only high school I signed up to sub with. They had requested an English sub and since school had already started they had another teacher in there and wanted me there as soon as possible. So I jumped in the shower and ran on over!
It actually turned out to be a pretty good day. The class that I was in has had an endless stream of subs this year and are now convinced that the class is a complete joke (which it kind of was), but all except for 7th hour were well behaved and it was kind of fun to be a teacher at my old high school! My sophomore English teacher even tried hard to hire me to replace the teacher I was subbing for.
Lack of work does not seem to be my issues. I even have 3 1/2 days already scheduled for November and the high school has decided that they're going to start calling me first when this particular teacher doesn't show so that the kids at least have a consistent sub. The Lord is definitely looking out for me!
After all this though, I am so tired! I really don't know how I lived through student teaching while pregnant. I guess I'm just not used to being on my feet all day anymore.
Adding to the exhaustion, we rounded out the week by going to the high school football game to support my brother in the marching band. It was a really fun night! The marching band did great and my kids loved them! Emily cheered loudly for Chris every time they played and Edward waved his arms very enthusiastically. I think he was training to be either a percussionist or a drum major. And of course, the football team did well, beating Westwood 44-0.
Today: Cleaning, finishing at least one craft project (probably the file folder games), more blogging (hopefully), finishing my current assignment for my other job, carving pumpkins and trunk-or-treating (and maybe figuring out a costume for said event, if I get around to it)!
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow. Busy! I'm glad you're enjoying it! I got tired just reading about it! Have fun!
Hey you! I'm so glad that all the subbing worked out and that you are getting so many calls! What a blessing. Post Halloween pictures soon so I can enjoy them :)
Post a Comment