Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sleeping standing up?

How do you get a baby to sleep once they realize that they can stand up in their crib? I keep thinking that when she gets tired enough she'll just lay back down. Apparently I am wrong. She stands as long as she possibly can, so if she even does go to sleep, she ends up sitting up or collaping face-down into her blanket! So then I have to go in and move her and she wakes up and we start all over again. Last night, she tried hard to sleep standing up. She kept drifting off and just laying her head on her arm and then jerking herself awake as she was about to fall down.

Since Emily has learned she can stand up, she's only gone to sleep on her own twice and you aleady read about what happened. The other times she's ended up sleeping with us (not my favorite option) or I have to feed her and let her fall asleep that way. That option is quickly leaving me though as she is fast becoming more interested in solid foods and less interested in nursing.

What else can I do? I am so tired of this, but I have no idea how else to make her go to sleep!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Hey Clarissa! I'm not gonna lie to you, this stage kinda stinks. I remember Natalie standing up in her crib and crying because she wanted the toys on her floor. It's frustrating. I got her really tired and then would lay her down so she'd just crash, after a while she just gave up fighting. You could try getting a sleep sac, have you seen those? That way it would be harder for her to stand?

Unknown said...

Well, I can't say I've ever had this problem, because although my boys didn't like to lay down and go to sleep, I would just put them in their crib and they would eventually fall asleep. I didn't ever worry about moving them if they fell asleep in a weird position, they're flexible, they can handle it. My advice, as with just about anything dealing with raising kids is that it's not as big of a deal as you may think it is right now and to relax a little!