
The past week has been a fun time in the Beckstead home. Emily has been very crabby, feverish, not sleeping well and generally just angry. Crabby really doesn't even cut it. After much stress and confusion, we now know that it is because she has a urinary tract infection. I bet you didn't know babies could even get those! I didn't. Actually, they are very rare in kids as young as her. The doctor told us that sometimes they really did just manage to get an infection, but a lot of times it's because their bladder and kidneys aren't working quite right. (I won't give you all the gory details.) So, the poor kid has to have an ultrasound and a vcug to see what's going on. (A vcug is basically an x-ray of the bladder and kidneys.) If there is an issue, it's something that she'll grow out of, but she'll continue to have infections until it does go away. Fun stuff. The good news is that the antibiotic does put her out of her misery fairly quickly. Mostly anyways, she still doesn't sleep well, but you can't have it all.
As soon as she's done with the antibiotic, we'll take her into the hospital to get the tests done. Remembering the x-rays and ultrasounds I've had just makes me less excited about doing this. Getting a 7 month old to hold still while scary people point machines at her is not going to be fun. From what I've read on the internet she'll probably just be retsrained, which makes me more sad for her.
PS - No, the picture does not have anything to do with the post. It's just a cute picture of Emily.
2 comments:
Hey Clarissa! Thanks for you cute comment. I know the idea of a diaper cake is quite a funny concept! :-S
I'm sorry about your little one... :-( That is no fun, but do you want to know something?? Your whole paragraph was just about exactly what we learned in class today. I am in my pediatric rotation now and that is one of the topics we were discussing. Really interesting!
I hope she feels better soon and you can get back to playing! :-)
I hope she's feeling better. How did the tests go?
Post a Comment