Saturday, September 20, 2008

Little House on the Praire? No Thanks


Well, it's 11 pm and I am up because Emily has the flu. She's sleeping for the moment, but I don't have much hope in it lasting. Over the past few hours, I have decided that I am very grateful to live in the time and place that I do. There are days when I wish that I had been born into simpler, slower times, but tonight is not one of those moments. I am so grateful that I can pick up the phone and get advice from a mom or a nurse in a matter of minutes. They can tell me exactly what's going on and what to do. And Jacob can drive to the store and get her medicine that will hopefully help. It scares me every time she throws up and I cannot even imagine how scary it must have been to be sick back when they didn't really understand what was happening and you could only get help in the middle of the night if you were dying. Here I am thinking that my life is hard because Walmart is out of Pedialite. I'm not even the one driving around looking for it! What if I didn't know that it's just the flu and she'll be ok? What if I didn't know what signs will indicate that it's getting worse? Even with the knowledge out there, I wouldn't know much more than that she's not dying without a nurse to ask.


So, here is my conclusion for the night. I am grateful for all the amazing technology and conviences we have in this world. I am grateful that we can call our moms, even late at night, and they can give us advice and help me feel better (thanks Darlene). I'm grateful that I can call the nurse on the doctors emergency line and she's happy to help me. I'm even grateful that my daughter has half a dozen blankets to dirty while she's sick.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, doesn't it just break your heart when they are sick? I hope you are all feeling much better! I still haven't forgotten about coming to visit. . .how's next week??